On July 27th, I went to the Atlanta Bloggers + Cocktails hosted by the Black Bloggers United, Inc. (BBU). BBU started out as an Instagram account that showcased creative minorities and their blogs. Now it's developed into a community of bloggers with hubs in major cities and pop-up events designed to help establish more connections between black bloggers.
Boogalou Lounge on Ponce De Leon was a prime location for the Bloggers + Cocktails event. The happy hour encouraged everybody to mingle with strangers and share our individual blogging experiences. The setting was intimate, the live music was on point, and the happy hour menu had small bites and stiff drinks.
I had such blast at this event and I wanted to share some great advice!
- Don't be anybody but you. It's the key to building a successful brand and serving your target audience.
- Serve your audience. There's nothing better than giving away valuable information or a product that benefits your readers and grows your readership.
- Define what a successful blog is in your eyes. Goal setting and developing a strategy is another key to growing your readership.
- Network like crazy. You get back what you put out so talk about your blog. Chances are your aspirations will actually come to fruition.
- Don't be afraid to go against the grain. I was one of two gentlemen that attended the event and what that means to me is guys, we have some work to do!